Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

McCade's Way by Mara McBain

This book was a mix of 5 stars and 2 stars for me.

I loved the overall story and how alpha Trey was and how he truly did care for Gen even though he fought against it because of his hang-ups from his first marriage. HOWEVER!! His hang-ups do NOT allow for him to cross the line from alpha protective to abusive/controlling. Which I felt happened often enough throughout the book to be uncomfortable by it. Does he back off and relax some? Yes.... but I'm not sure if he ever was freed from the abusive/controlling tendencies.

Gen came from a bad situation and landed in a somewhat bad situation (see my conflict above) - so she was a mix of strong, but yet, almost doormat for Trey. I don't agree with how she excused/brushed some of Trey's actions away, but I also like how she wasn't always afraid of him and willing to stand up to him.

Did they work together well, learning to give what the other needed? Yes. Do I wish that Trey wouldn't have crossed the line? Yes. Do I wish that Gen would have stood up to Trey more and not allow him to kowtow her? Yes.

So why the conflict and 3 stars? Because while I was not impressed with some of Trey's actions, I still find myself drawn back to the story for whatever reason. I think if I close my eyes to Trey's OTT alpha actions/abuse, I could love the story fully - and because this is fiction, I can do that.