Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

Detach and Target by Ashley C Gillis

Detach and Target is the debut novel for Ashley Gillis and is quite impressive with the details that have been poured into this story, drawing you into a world where evil reigns and good won't rest until it's defeated.

This isn't my usual type of reading, as it's heavier on the action side of the story, but twisted within the pages is a heart warming (and sometimes, heart wrenching) love story being weaved for Kendra and Trevor. Experiencing this book through the opposite side where the focus is more on the action and the relationship between a military team as a whole and not just the main couple brings a unique view point to life and one that I appreciated. The banter and bond between all characters is a trip and specifically watching the love grow between Kendra and Trevor was beautiful, especially seeing it through the secondary characters. I found myself wishing for some happy-ever-afters for a couple of the other members of the team and enjoyed getting to know them and begin to fall for them as well.

I found myself experiencing all the emotions I usually love to feel: giggles, sobs, smiles, fear, and just plain happy.

Be aware, however, that this does have a cliff hanger for an ending. I found myself expecting one ending and the twist at the end leaves me craving for more (and to maybe do a bit of bodily harm to someone). I suppose in the time before the next book is written, I'm making my own ending up to give my heart some peace before I have to get myself back to the reality of the story. There are some hard moments to make it through, but I have faith that the next book will make everything worth it.