Pages

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Death Bakes a Pecan Pie by Livia J. Washburn

Death Bakes a Pecan Pie

Death Bakes a Pecan Pie is my first adventure into a cozy mystery book, and it provided a cute and entertaining weekend read. It kinda gave me a feeling of nostalgia, drawing memories of the types of mystery shows I'd watch on tv with my parents growing up. And just like with those shows, I was kept guessing who-done-it and ended up just laying back to enjoy the ride.

Poor Phyllis isn't too impressed to find herself caught up again in a murder investigation, but with circumstances being what they are, she can't help but keep digging a little bit deeper and deeper. And she does all that while still making sure she's getting an amazing pie made for the Harvest Festival's best pie contest. Priorities, after all!! haha! With some laughter and awesome food and crafty twists, Death Bakes a Pecan Pie provides a pleasurable read. And even dishes out a little nugget of wisdom that really stood out to me right now: Life's always gonna have some surprises waitin' for us, some good, some bad, and we just have to do the best we can with 'em."