Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Her Tempting Protector by Caitlyn O'Leary


51061658. sy475

Talk about being blown away by a story!  This story blasted its way to crowd in at the top of my favorite COL books, which now proudly has 3 in first place. 

Her Tempting Protector delivers not only a crazy fun rescue adventure (I mean, fun as in lots of someones are out to kill us kinda fun) entwined with a slowly seductive love story, but it also sheds light on the heartbreaking atrocities that so many live with every day - from both the victims' and the caregivers' perspectives.  This book makes you pause and think while you anxiously flip the pages to see what happens next.

There's just something about the quiet but strong (and cocky in a good way) confidence a man emanates when he's secure in who he is, what he wants, and what needs done to both protect and secure that.  Cullen knows what his job is and he relishes in doing it - whether it's being a protective big brother, a rock-solid teammate, or the shield and safety for his woman - he takes charge and gives his all.  Cullen is the perfect mix of hilarious, sweet, and bossy alpha hero I've come to treasure. 

I loved getting to see Carys (from Her Steadfast Hero) make her appearance as Cullen's woman.  Her history combined with who she was as a woman - strength mixed with vulnerability, secure confidence weaved with heartbreaking insecurities, her loving empathetic heart supported by a steel backbone - created a gorgeous woman from the inside out.  I saw myself in her as much as I hoped I had my own version of strength she had. 

Cullen and Carys were the ideal match for each other.  She was someone he could protect and take care of, to give the dream of family and love to, while he gave her the safe place and someone to depend on when she needed it, and the someone to have her back as she chased her dreams.  They were the perfect mix, neither overpowering the other.  I loved how they complimented each other and both drew strength and gave strength from their love.

I adored every moment from the first page to the last, experiencing all the danger and the excitement layered with beauty, heartbreak, and triumphs.  Stories like this give the perfect kind of escape for me. It touched my heart in a way that I know I'll remember moments clearly and enjoy revisiting often.