Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Beyond the Limit by Cindy Dees


42366208

I was blown away with how much I enjoyed this story -- so much so, once I started I kept going till I was done late last night!

It's always been an intriguing consideration for me, working through the feelings, beliefs, reality, and politics of women in special forces/front lines of combat. I appreciated how the author dealt with everything, and how we got multiple views and opinions - and we see how the characters worked through their opinions - specifically watching Griffin sort through things and Sherri proving herself (and I'll be honest - I was in awe of how she dealt with everything tossed at her).

I enjoyed watching the heat build between Sherri and Griffin - from insta-attraction to head-over-heals - it felt real and raw and honest, even with the struggle to express it or understand exactly how to balance the desires with responsibilities. I also loved seeing the respect that grew, not only between Sherri and Griffin, but between the Reaper Team, the other women trainees, and the SEAL community (instructors, fellow team mates, etc.) Something about the SEAL family keeps me coming back for more. I also loved the glimpse into the raw and realities of being a special operator - just what it takes to make it, what you're willing to sacrifice, and the dichotomy between your head and heart, the adrenaline highs and the heart-shattering lows.

Beyond the Limit is the kind of story that will capture your attention and drag you along in a thought-provoking journey, delivering not only a well-earned happily-ever-after, but a greater appreciation for the realities of the special few warriors who live out "the only easy day was yesterday".