Pages

Sunday, May 12, 2019

The Captive by Julie Coulter Bellon

The Captive
The Captive is a fast-paced action adventure story that takes us from the US to Algiers as a team is put together to rescue two hostages. It felt like something that could be taken straight from today's news headlines, except we get to see all the unexpected hiccups that lead to the happy ending.

I enjoyed watching the team interaction and watching how they bonded and worked together.... well, mostly (again, ...hiccups). I simply adored Jake -- the way he led his men (and woman), his bond with his sister, his honor and respect for others, his strength and determination to fulfill his mission (whether personal or professional).

Mya was a hard one for me. First impressions of her weren't great, even as much as I tried to empathize and remember where exactly she was coming from and what her head space was like at that moment. All through the book I'd alternate between being drawn to her and admiring her tenacity..... to just not quite understanding her actions and wanting to shake some patience and sense into her.

Despite my struggle with Mya at times, I still felt the attraction and connection between her and Jake and enjoyed how things played out for them.

And just sayin', Colt sure captured my attention as well!

Overall, this made for a great modern day romantic suspense story full of intrigue and excitement, but wasn't overly heavy.

I listened to this via audible (audio book) and the narrator did an excellent job bringing the story to life. Great voice, great acting (I could recognize which character was talking and who's point of view we were in just by the voice inflections) - I'd enjoy hearing more stories from him.